Choosing Life: Empowerment! Action! Results!
Choosing Life: Empowerment! Action! Results! is an evidence-based intervention and health promotion intervention for African American Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) ages 18 and older living with HIV/AIDS or at high-risk for HIV. CLEAR is a client-centered program delivered one-on-one using cognitive behavioral techniques to encourage behavior change. It provides clients with the skills necessary to live their best life and to be able to make healthy choices. The goal of the intervention is to help clients maintain health, reduce transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, and improve their quality of life.
CLEAR enables Counselors to individually tailor the program to address the unique needs of each client. CLEAR consists of five core skill sessions, 21 menu sessions and a wrap-up session. The core skill sessions teach the essential cognitive and behavioral skills of the programs ( i.e. positive self talk, reframing, countering against negative thoughts, relaxation).Within these core skill sessions, clients also develop a personal life goal and an individual prevention plan that direct the focus and selection of subsequent menu session.
CLEAR provides additional benefits to clients such as:
- Enhancing their quality of life by providing them with the skills to prevent infection, or re-infection and to be proactive about their health maintenance.
- Teaching them the negotiation and practice of safer sex skills.
- Supporting them in making healthier choices that promote a longer life span.
- Helping them adhere to medical care including drug regiment and doctor visits.
- Helping them adhere to substance abuse treatment and maintenance of sobriety.
This project is funded by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) under funding announcement PS10-1003.
The CLEAR Project staff is located at My Brother’s Keeper, Inc. Headquarters.
CLEAR Project Staff:
(601) 898-0000 Ext. 102